Friday 26 March 2010

Armoured trains










I've been well and truly bitten by the VBCW bug at the moment. Sadly the wargames budget has been taking a bit of a hit at the moment mostly due to my other hobby of following Southampton football club, which for those not in the know are off to wembley this weekend for the JPT final which isn't a cheap trip.
Anyway to keep the hobby juices flowing I've been doing a bit of scratch building. First up on my list was an armoured train for the Swanage railway. This is the second armoured train I've scratch built, the first (bottom four pictures) was built for my RCW/BOB games however I think it would work for a VBCW probably as a goverment train. Basically its a 1/55 scale teamsters toy train (it even makes choo choo train sounds) with a good layer of cardboard and plastic card armoured plates plus some drink bottle lid turrets with scratch built guns.
The new train is another teamster train with a different engine. This time I've tried to make it look more jury rigged more like something that has been armoured up by railway workers with materials lying around the engine sheds (like sleepers, sandbags and scrap metal). I've also scratch built a 3pdr naval gun on the back for some heavier firepower. Its just about ready for painting now just needs a few more sandbags and I'm ready to go.
Cheers Jon

3 comments:

  1. WOW!

    Those look GREAT, Jon!

    I picked up a similar cheap plastic train set form the local Toys R Us a couple years back with plans to do something similar... but never quite gotten to it. Seeing these has got me thinking about having a look at them again - whenever I do get to it I'll definitely be checking back here for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen your first train in action and it's great. The new one looks like it's going to be equally good, especially the improvised armour...nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless, love the camo/"dada" effect, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete